Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 V Michelin Pilot 4

Any questions on Wheels, Tyres, Suspension or Brakes ?
Aldo
New User
New User

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 V Michelin Pilot 4

Post by Aldo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:00 am

Hi all

Just thought I would share my experience on the above 2 tyres for anyone looking at them.
When I purchased the car used from Mercedes Benz, they put a set of Hankooks on the back as the Michelin pilot 4 on that axel had reached their legal limit.

It was not much of an issue at the back eventough they did feel a little bit softer than the Michelin at the front on the side wall.

I have now had to replaced the front Pilot 4 with a new set of Pilot 4 which have been placed on the rear axle as per the recommendations. The Hankooks having 5mm of thread have been moved to the front axle.

I must say... What a difference to they way the car drives. The Hankook tyres are a lot more comfortable on the steering on motorway but that's where in my experience the benefits end. They seem softer and not as precise on the steering or front end with lots of adjustments having to be made on any fast driving. They also start to understeer at a lot slower speeds which is annoying.

Furthermore they also don't seem to be able to handle the power as much as the Michelin.

Where I could put my foot down in comfort mode with the Michelins out of corners, I can't do it with the Hankooks.
Having the Hankooks on the front axle, the car cuts power dramatically and the traction control light goes in to overdrive. Something that never used to happen with the Michelin on that axle. (when it 1st happen, it got me worried that there was something wrong with the 4 wheel drive system as I never had that before in the same driving mode with the Michelins)

I must say that based on this experience if you can afford the extra premium on the Michelins it I do recommend you go for the Pilot 4 Tyres.

Difference between them in the driving is night and day. I personally was very surprised as I have always thought highly of hankooks.

(furthermore the hankooks have started to crack all around the outermost edge of the tyre which is not something I would expect with a tyre that was manufactured 2 years ago. No cracking on the older Michelins when they got replaced)

Its incredible what a difference a tyre makes to the cars capabilities.
0 x

MAFFA

Re: Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 V Michelin Pilot 4

Post by MAFFA » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:29 am

I’m assuming you’re running 18” rims or you’d have thrown on Pilot Sport 4S?

Anyone running 19’s will tell you that Pilot Sport 4S have been unbeatable on the A45 & it’s only now with the likes of the Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport that anyone is getting close.

If those Michelin’s on the rear are new then change the fronts to match asap & then report back on how your car is 200% better.

Also recommended rotating your wheels every 5k miles to even the wear as the inside edge on an A45 takes a hammering
0 x
2014 A45 AMG ¦ Jupiter Red ¦ AMG Aero Pack ¦ AMG De-Resonated Sports Exhaust ¦ 19" AMG Alloys ¦ AMG Exclusive Pack ¦ Full Leather incl. Heated Seats & Leather Dashboard ¦ Panoramic Sunroof ¦ AMG Night Pack ¦ Privacy Glass

Aldo
New User
New User

Post by Aldo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi Maffa

Yes running 18" wheels. I will look at changing the front to Michelin as well as they feel so much better. I am still getting wheel spin starting off on the front hankooks before it sends power to the back compared the the old michelin 😕.

I would have loved the 4s tyres but such a shame they don't do it in 18inch size.
0 x

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:18 am

0 x
2014 A45 AMG ¦ Jupiter Red ¦ AMG Aero Pack ¦ AMG De-Resonated Sports Exhaust ¦ 19" AMG Alloys ¦ AMG Exclusive Pack ¦ Full Leather incl. Heated Seats & Leather Dashboard ¦ Panoramic Sunroof ¦ AMG Night Pack ¦ Privacy Glass