FL Exhaust doesn't burble on overrun or downshift?

Have a problem with your A45? Or just want to get some technical advice? Here's the place!
Marrow
A45 Groupie
A45 Groupie

Re: FL Exhaust doesn't burble on overrun or downshift?

Post by Marrow » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:12 pm

gotbass wrote:
Vulgarian wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:23 pm
gotbass wrote:Hi everyone,

so just upgraded my pfl for a fl.

First thing i notice was the lack of exhaust drama, only the gunshot on up shifts when my foot is down.

No burbles or popping from overrun or downshifts - im pretty sure the exhaust button does nothing.

Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks
I also upgraded from the pfl and posted the exact same post on here when I did, it’s really annoying isn’t it but it definitely makes less noise on the fl!

I removed the resonator and it adds a little bit extra noise but not much (might even all be in my head seen as the resonator was so small anyway)
Is there sound deadening? I am going to talk to dealer because it’s night and day difference. I only get the upshift noise.

How was res delete with warranty?

It seems like it’s an ECU thing? No pop and bang map...
I have removed all resonators from my exhaust and it’s under warranty nobody has even mentioned it. Just been in for warranty work as well as cam shaft sensor failed causing a massive miss fire so I would say it warranty safe imo. Obviously voids exhaust warranty claims !
0 x

gotbass
New User
New User

Post by gotbass » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have booked it in to Mercedes for a look and health check. Then remove the res!
0 x

gotbass
New User
New User

Post by gotbass » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Okay this is a good example:

https://youtu.be/wI2cBbBdYec

In race mode, my perf exhaust does not make these crackle noises when hot. I’m getting it booked in to see what’s up.

My PFL was a machine gun compared to the FL!
0 x

gotbass
New User
New User

Post by gotbass » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Car is back from dealer.

Nothing reported as wrong, valve works fine.

Car drives the same, in race mode I get the odd pop if I really rev high.

Sport plus - still nothing

I think I’m going to have to go aftermarket, but I’m really disappointed with the perf exhaust. Almost no drama compared to my pre FL.
0 x

A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Post by 137699 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:28 am

Something is definitively not right as I can get mine to pop, burble and bang at will (also FL as per sig).

I love "shooting" at cyclists as I pass - not your local family out for a sunday ride, but the lycra-clad brigade that seem to think riding 2-3 abreast and not getting out of your way on a narrow road is perfectly acceptable.
0 x
2017 Cavansite Blue, Premium Pack, Aero Pack, Night Pack, Storage Pack, Performance Exhaust, Selective Damping, full Dinamica Steering Wheel. STANDARD SEATS!

Kingpin
A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Post by Kingpin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:41 am

You won't be able to make a series of pops or crackles "at will"
The extent of those noises depends on how you're driving the car over a distance. You have to be in at least Sport+ and driving fast, not just trundling along through a town and expect to be able to scare the pedestrians! You can get the single gun-shot bangs on upshift quite easily but most of it won't happen until you go for a longer thrash around winding rounds with plenty of heavy braking and accelerating then you should get plenty of noises on changing up and lift-off. The car adapts the exhaust sounds to the way you are driving in the same way it adapts the gear changes.
If anyone expects to be able to make loads of noises as they cruise through town with the window down and their arm out of it I think they've bought the wrong car they should have gone for a 1998 Civic with those exhaust pipes big enough to put your foot in!!
0 x

gotbass
New User
New User

Post by gotbass » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:44 am

That’s the thing, my PFL could do just that.

Low revs, drop from third to second and the exhaust would burble and crackle quite nicely even in comfort. This is going slowly and maybe 3500 revs max on downshift?

If I’m in sport plus, car has been driving for an hour. I drop from third to second and hit 6000 revs the exhaust just bellows loudly. No crackles, pops or burbles. It’s bizare.

I know it’s a silly thing but coming from the fruitfulness of the PFL and now this strained makes me sad.
0 x

A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Post by 137699 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:57 am

Kingpin wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:41 am
The extent of those noises depends on how you're driving the car over a distance. You have to be in at least Sport+ and driving fast, not just trundling along through a town and expect to be able to scare the pedestrians! You can get the single gun-shot bangs on upshift quite easily but most of it won't happen until you go for a longer thrash around winding rounds with plenty of heavy braking and accelerating then you should get plenty of noises on changing up and lift-off. The car adapts the exhaust sounds to the way you are driving in the same way it adapts the gear changes.
If anyone expects to be able to make loads of noises as they cruise through town with the window down and their arm out of it I think they've bought the wrong car they should have gone for a 1998 Civic with those exhaust pipes big enough to put your foot in!!
I disagree. I can & do make mine go off "at-will" irrespective of how I've been driving.

Dropped a mate to the shops a few months back - only been pootling around town. Dropped him off and the fired off up the road - he called me moments later in hysterics of laughter to comment on the reaction he witnessed from everyone near him in town as I fired off on every upshift and was burbling and popping on the downshifts at the end of the road.
0 x
2017 Cavansite Blue, Premium Pack, Aero Pack, Night Pack, Storage Pack, Performance Exhaust, Selective Damping, full Dinamica Steering Wheel. STANDARD SEATS!

Marrow
A45 Groupie
A45 Groupie

Post by Marrow » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:39 am

137699 wrote:
Kingpin wrote:
I disagree. I can & do make mine go off "at-will" irrespective of how I've been driving.

Dropped a mate to the shops a few months back - only been pootling around town. Dropped him off and the fired off up the road - he called me moments later in hysterics of laughter to comment on the reaction he witnessed from everyone near him in town as I fired off on every upshift and was burbling and popping on the downshifts at the end of the road.
Ye I can do it at will but mines pfl
0 x

gotbass
New User
New User

Post by gotbass » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 am

137699 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:57 am
Kingpin wrote:

I got this all the time in the PFL!

So my question would be, how many miles have you done? Mines on 15,000. Could it be that my exhaust is still not run in? Maybe the previous owner has been driving like a granny and the exhaust absent unleashed it’s true character yet?
0 x