gearbox re-call

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain and ECU questions.
dumfunk
A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Re: gearbox re-call

Post by dumfunk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:18 pm

does it crunch going into reverse?
if it happens within the next 9 months of warranty remaining then get it in....
mine runs out in April this year, so if it happens between now and then its going to merc..
0 x
2016 orange and blue wrap on mountain grey, aero pack, Milltek cat back "race" exhaust, dynamic plus pack, pano roof, AMG sports steering wheel, AMG power sports seats,19" satin black wheels
Image20190119_143738 by N F, on Flickr

Jakemico
New User
New User

Post by Jakemico » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:32 pm

DRB wrote:Hi,
So 9 months left on the warranty. The car has only done 7800 but all this talk of gearbox problems has me a bit twitchy... I’d love to know what the % failure rate is and if it’s one of those early life failures... I though I would mail Mercedes to see if they were prepared to extend some sort of warranty on the box bearing in mind it is a design/manufacturing issue.. Even if we knew parts were free it would be something although I guess the labour would be a killer too. Instant response nope 3 year warranty chargeable after. A bit disappointed it wasn’t even a let’s have @ chat!

Anyone had to pay for the repairs? I wouldn’t mind taking an extended warranty but why should we have to pay for Mercedes error. I know this is going to be an uphill challenge but one I’m going to have a go at. Any advice.
dumfunk wrote:does it crunch going into reverse?
if it happens within the next 9 months of warranty remaining then get it in....
mine runs out in April this year, so if it happens between now and then its going to merc..

My advice, if you’re genuinely worried then say it happens and Mercedes should carry out the work in good faith even if they can’t replicate the fault.

My dealership carried out the work even though they couldn’t make it “crunch” into reverse. Why shouldn’t yours?

That being said, it’s a big task and one I wish I’d let lie. I could live with the crunch every now and again but I can’t live with a car that’s now unreliable because some dimwit can’t put a f%#king gearbox back in properly.
0 x
2016 FL AMG A45. Subtle.

webbleg
New User
New User

Post by webbleg » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:46 am

Can't say officially, but assuming that your car has full main dealer servicing and gearbox fails out of warranty Mercedes will pay a "goodwill" % of the bill. This can (and I have seen personally) up to 100% of Bill, especially if you have had it in for the fault while it was under warranty
0 x

Kingpin
A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Post by Kingpin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 am

I have had the gearbox crunch issue twice in the same car, both times repaired under warranty.
Two cars since haven't had the problem, but one of them I didn't have over a winter period.
My honest opinion is, if my car was about to come out of warranty but I hadn't had the problem, I wouldn't worry about it happening in the future. I'd forget about it and just take the risk.
The reasons are it only happens during very cold weather, when you start the car from very cold, and when you have to use reverse before you can drive away. Literally within a minute or so the car will be warm enough for it not to do it again. So if it does happen it's likely to only be on a handful of occasions, only in the winter months, and it can be helped by adapting the way you park at night so you can pull away in the morning without reversing. And I would be surprised if a few crunches did any long term damage to affect it continuously from then on. I would think it would still be back to normal as the weather warms up.
I appreciate some may have had different experiences than that and the problem been more of an issue for them but that's how I'd look at it!
1 x

A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Post by 137699 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:26 pm

Standard MB procedure once a car has gone out of warranty is to offer some form of "goodwill" toward any significant repairs if a problem occurs due to a defective part or assembly, provided that your car is unmodified and has full MB Service History.

Only caveat is that you have to ask for it - they won't offer goodwill as a matter of course. You have to convince the warranty manager at your dealer to submit a request on your behalf. Given the fairly commonplace failure of the gearbox I'd expect them to offer between 75-90% contribution to the cost of repair. Provided you contribute something toward the repair (i.e. they don't cover 100% of the cost) then you get a full 2 year warranty on that repair.
0 x
2017 Cavansite Blue, Premium Pack, Aero Pack, Night Pack, Storage Pack, Performance Exhaust, Selective Damping, full Dinamica Steering Wheel. STANDARD SEATS!

DRB
New User
New User

Post by DRB » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks guys... car is parked in a garage and I always reverse it in so a straight drive out.. I’ve even spoilt it to a dehumidifier running all the time in the garage. I live near a wooded area on a hill and in the dip where the house is it gets damp. The dehumidifier in the garage is a great bit of kit... I monitor the temp to make sure the temp stays above dew point...

It’s been serviced and I plan to continue having it serviced at Brooklands..

Dave B
0 x

Kingpin
A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Post by Kingpin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 am

Dave B

Can I just clarify my advice about avoiding selecting reverse on first start on cold mornings is advice for someone who knows they have the crunch, to reduce the chances of it doing it or becoming worse, but my advice for you would be the opposite!
You still have 9 months of warranty left so I would be purposely trying to replicate the conditions for the crunch now because you won't have chance when the weather is warmer. If it does crunch then you have plenty of time to get it sorted under warranty, if it doesn't then you know chances are it will never do it, especially as it will have already been through 3 winters!
I know different people have had the crunch at different ages and mileages, but generally speaking if it's going to happen it seems to be something that's probably going to show itself in the first year.
0 x

dorsetred
A45 Groupie
A45 Groupie

Post by dorsetred » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:27 pm

It appears as if there could be two running threads covering the same or similar issue, when I initially took our car in the service people couldn't replicate the sound hence no fault found. As a result of checking if they had WiFi at the premises I was able to play the sound and subsequently the car was back in yesterday to have the parts fitted etc., can I suggest you also check this thread especially playing the audio clip could be the answer for you: - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1537&start=10

dorsetred 8-)
0 x
MY16 GLA45 AMG 4MATIC PREMIUM
Previous - MY15 BMW 218d Active Tourer, MY13 BMW 118d Coupe, MY11 Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, MY09 Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, MY01 Honda HRV, too many more.

dumfunk
A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Post by dumfunk » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Are we saying that a "healthy" gearbox should NOT crunch even when selecting reverse first thing when cold?
0 x
2016 orange and blue wrap on mountain grey, aero pack, Milltek cat back "race" exhaust, dynamic plus pack, pano roof, AMG sports steering wheel, AMG power sports seats,19" satin black wheels
Image20190119_143738 by N F, on Flickr

dorsetred
A45 Groupie
A45 Groupie

Post by dorsetred » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 pm

I'm unsure about other people however I've been driving a Toyota Land Cruiser for the past 14 years as a company vehicle in the Middle East and despite the cold in late December to early March definitely no noises whatsoever. Having retired and driving our GLA45 more since being home but in particular listened to the audio simply emphasised to me we had a problem on engaging reverse which was a necessity on leaving the garage. As previously advised I believe it's a no-brainer to be able to play the audio but critical the car is left overnight for the service personnel to be able to listen and feel the effect on cold mornings, it's blatantly obvious this is a fault and should not occur especially with a high performance car irrespective of the brand but even more so if it's an AMG?

dorsetred 8-)
0 x
MY16 GLA45 AMG 4MATIC PREMIUM
Previous - MY15 BMW 218d Active Tourer, MY13 BMW 118d Coupe, MY11 Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, MY09 Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, MY01 Honda HRV, too many more.