Tyre talk...

Any questions on Wheels, Tyres, Suspension or Brakes ?
Jakemico
New User
New User

Tyre talk...

Post by Jakemico » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:55 pm

The car is with Merc for a service today and as ever I looked forward to their delightful safety inspection video.

This time, both rear tyres are cracked with cords showingon the inside edge. 20k miles on these with 3.5mm left.* Can’t say I’ve experienced this before.

Has anyone else had similar issues with the OEM fitment continentals?**

Should I be blaming the tyres? Or maybe looking at the alignment?

*believe they’ve been on since the car was new
**believe they are continentals. Replaced the fronts with Michelin PSS’s and will do the same here.
0 x
2016 FL AMG A45. Subtle.

MAFFA

Re: Tyre talk...

Post by MAFFA » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Worth looking at an alignment but to be fair you’ve not done bad getting 20k from a set of tyres. I know how you drive

I’ve ordered a set of 4 PS4s as these seem to be the tyre of the moment. PSS are really good on the car as well though as had those before my current Dunlop’s
0 x
2014 A45 AMG ¦ Jupiter Red ¦ AMG Aero Pack ¦ AMG De-Resonated Sports Exhaust ¦ 19" AMG Alloys ¦ AMG Exclusive Pack ¦ Full Leather incl. Heated Seats & Leather Dashboard ¦ Panoramic Sunroof ¦ AMG Night Pack ¦ Privacy Glass

J9NAC
A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Post by J9NAC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:50 pm

20k is pretty good for a set of tyres.
Mine came with Dunlops on and after 12.5k they said the fronts were cracked and cords showing. Don't like the Dunlops though so ps4's for me when the winter's need to come off next year.
0 x
CLA45 Shooting brake in Polar Silver finally collected!

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:38 am

J9NAC wrote:20k is pretty good for a set of tyres.
Mine came with Dunlops on and after 12.5k they said the fronts were cracked and cords showing. Don't like the Dunlops though so ps4's for me when the winter's need to come off next year.
Yeah the Dunlop’s are a bit soft. Only on mine as I got them for £200 so not that fussed they’ve worn out quickly
0 x
2014 A45 AMG ¦ Jupiter Red ¦ AMG Aero Pack ¦ AMG De-Resonated Sports Exhaust ¦ 19" AMG Alloys ¦ AMG Exclusive Pack ¦ Full Leather incl. Heated Seats & Leather Dashboard ¦ Panoramic Sunroof ¦ AMG Night Pack ¦ Privacy Glass

Jakemico
New User
New User

Tyre talk...

Post by Jakemico » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:18 pm

MAFFA wrote:Worth looking at an alignment but to be fair you’ve not done bad getting 20k from a set of tyres. I know how you drive Image

I’ve ordered a set of 4 PS4s as these seem to be the tyre of the moment. PSS are really good on the car as well though as had those before my current Dunlop’s
That is true to be fair. My only real comparison is Le Mini which must have needed a new set of boots every year or so any they took a serious pounding from track days, a dozen runs up Santa Pod and countless rolling burnouts.

I mistook what I bought last time, two PS4s are on the front so will fit two more and move on.

We complete on our house March/April time so hopefully the Merc gets some attention or the Mrs & I buy a project track car as I’m getting a little bored and missing the MINI.
0 x
2016 FL AMG A45. Subtle.

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Jakemico wrote:
MAFFA wrote:Worth looking at an alignment but to be fair you’ve not done bad getting 20k from a set of tyres. I know how you drive Image

That is true to be fair. My only real comparison is Le Mini which must have needed a new set of boots every year or so any they took a serious pounding from track days, a dozen runs up Santa Pod and countless rolling burnouts.

I mistook what I bought last time, two PS4s are on the front so will fit two more and move on.

We complete on our house March/April time so hopefully the Merc gets some attention or the Mrs & I buy a project track car as I’m getting a little bored and missing the MINI.
Congrats on the house mate. Where you moving to?

Be good to see you back at Goodwood my friend. Missed you at the breakfast club. I’m back there 15th Feb
0 x

Jakemico
New User
New User

Post by Jakemico » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:17 pm

MAFFA wrote:
Jakemico wrote:

Be good to see you back at Goodwood my friend. Missed you at the breakfast club. I’m back there 15th Feb
Moving to Durrington in a new build over there. Once we are settled it should be time to get cracking on a tidy little R53 or similar. Thankfully I won the argument for a garage.

Unsure if I should take the Merc on track at the next Saywell day. If you see any cheap track cars though let me know! You’ve got my number ;-)
0 x
2016 FL AMG A45. Subtle.

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Jakemico wrote:
MAFFA wrote:
Jakemico wrote: That is true to be fair. My only real comparison is Le Mini which must have needed a new set of boots every year or so any they took a serious pounding from track days, a dozen runs up Santa Pod and countless rolling burnouts.

Moving to Durrington in a new build over there. Once we are settled it should be time to get cracking on a tidy little R53 or similar. Thankfully I won the argument for a garage.

Unsure if I should take the Merc on track at the next Saywell day. If you see any cheap track cars though let me know! You’ve got my number ;-)
Mine ain’t going on track. To much money to insure when the Mini is £40 & probably more fun Image

Have I still got your number?
0 x

Smeders87
New User
New User

Post by Smeders87 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:22 am

Just a quick question really. I know everybody raves about ps4s but has anybody used hankook ventus v12 evo2 k120?
0 x

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Smeders87 wrote:Just a quick question really. I know everybody raves about ps4s but has anybody used hankook ventus v12 evo2 k120?
Sorry only had Michelin PSS, Dunlop Sport Maxx & tomorrow will have PS4S on it. Verbal recommendations from a tried & tested community is worth its weight in gold when getting 430bhp/600nm to the ground & through the twisties in winter Image
0 x