Dash Cam - OBD Connection

Questions on the Interior post here
k_anderson90
New User
New User

Dash Cam - OBD Connection

Post by k_anderson90 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi All,

Since i got my A45 never had the dash cams fitted, mainly not having enough time. Today i checked out how to fit them myself, pretty simple actually but iv got a couple of questions.

I have connected the front dash cam by OBD connection (photo bellow) instead of using the fuse box, is this a good idea? It has a switch on it so it can cut the power to the dash cam if parking mode isn't needed, i don't have any maps installed on the car and no other use of the OBD other than diagnostics if needed.

Second...Do you think the positioning is good? Decent view from the camera, tried putting it left of right but its slightly blocked by the centre piece, usually like it slightly hidden like i had in the RS.

Cheers for any comments.

Kev
Attachments
IMG_6784.jpg
IMG_6784.jpg (786.51 KiB) Viewed 138 times
IMG_6782.jpg
IMG_6782.jpg (828.74 KiB) Viewed 138 times
0 x

smokey
New User
New User

Re: Dash Cam - OBD Connection

Post by smokey » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 pm

My Dash Cam came with a power adaptor for a cigarette lighter. I thought that was the normal, I have never seen one like yours which connects to the OBD port. I put "obd port right angle adapter" into Google and came up with loads of ways of extending the port to somewhere else you could hide it better. Also have you hidden the cabling behind the A pillar cover?
1 x
2015 AMG A45, Northern Lights Violet, 19" AMG Alloy Wheels, AMG Exclusive Pack, AMG Memory Pack, COMAND NTG4.7, Panoramic Sliding Sunroof, Privacy Glass, AUTOWATCH Ghost.

MozeyPanda
A45 Novice
A45 Novice

Post by MozeyPanda » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:14 pm

I got my nextbase always on the left looking to the right so it isn't in my view when I look straight away. Kind of obscured by the mirror. Mine uses the 12v socket as I only plug in when driving. Cables are mostly hidden. It's within the A piller from the front passenger side to the top of the rear view mirror. Cabling makes some noise on bumpy roads, thinking of some cushioning around the wiring or I might have pushed it in too much :lol:
1 x

k_anderson90
New User
New User

Post by k_anderson90 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:33 pm

smokey wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 pm
My Dash Cam came with a power adaptor for a cigarette lighter. I thought that was the normal, I have never seen one like yours which connects to the OBD port. I put "obd port right angle adapter" into Google and came up with loads of ways of extending the port to somewhere else you could hide it better. Also have you hidden the cabling behind the A pillar cover?
Mine (BlackVue 750s) came with the 12v aswell but on my last car it was hard wired in using fuses, i was unable to take the cables out so had to buy new ones and this was recommended as it is easy to do. Iv hidden all the cables, only slightly seen at the camera and also at the ODB but its all tucked away so can't be hit with foot etc. Just not sure if its the best way as the camera's have parking mode for anything hitting the car whilst parked in multi story or the usual places...Supermarket car parks :|
0 x

MozeyPanda
A45 Novice
A45 Novice

Post by MozeyPanda » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:38 pm

k_anderson90 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:33 pm
smokey wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 pm
Mine (BlackVue 750s) came with the 12v aswell but on my last car it was hard wired in using fuses, i was unable to take the cables out so had to buy new ones and this was recommended as it is easy to do. Iv hidden all the cables, only slightly seen at the camera and also at the ODB but its all tucked away so can't be hit with foot etc. Just not sure if its the best way as the camera's have parking mode for anything hitting the car whilst parked in multi story or the usual places...Supermarket car parks :|
The batteries, in my opinion, doesn't last long enough while in park mode even though they have charged during the drive. Also, would they not invite thieves to break and take unless they are wireless cameras submitting live feeds/images constantly. I usually park under a light away from most cars but you do get the lower type cars strangely parking next to the motor. :lol:
1 x

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:18 pm

I have my Nextbase 312GW hard wired to the fuse box. The suction mount was to big so got a stealth sticker mount to mount it to the left of the mirror assembly. The wires then run around the roof lining, down the a-pillar and into the fuse box.

I believe there are laws regarding obstructing the field of view & in certain areas is an mot failure.
0 x
2014 A45 AMG ¦ Jupiter Red ¦ AMG Aero Pack ¦ AMG De-Resonated Sports Exhaust ¦ 19" AMG Alloys ¦ AMG Exclusive Pack ¦ Full Leather incl. Heated Seats & Leather Dashboard ¦ Panoramic Sunroof ¦ AMG Night Pack ¦ Privacy Glass

MozeyPanda
A45 Novice
A45 Novice

Post by MozeyPanda » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 am

MAFFA wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:18 pm
I have my Nextbase 312GW hard wired to the fuse box. The suction mount was to big so got a stealth sticker mount to mount it to the left of the mirror assembly. The wires then run around the roof lining, down the a-pillar and into the fuse box.

I believe there are laws regarding obstructing the field of view & in certain areas is an mot failure.
Matt, I had the stealth mount in the area it would fail and it was hard work trying to get off. Make sure it's first time right.
0 x

k_anderson90
New User
New User

Post by k_anderson90 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:12 pm

I prefer them discreet, its pretty dark in the cabin anyway shouldn't be that noticeable unless you know its there, i can also turn all the LED's off on the camera which is handy.
0 x

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:40 pm

MozeyPanda wrote:
MAFFA wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Matt, I had the stealth mount in the area it would fail and it was hard work trying to get off. Make sure it's first time right.
Mate I did my research Image

2 MOT’s later...no problem Image
0 x
2014 A45 AMG ¦ Jupiter Red ¦ AMG Aero Pack ¦ AMG De-Resonated Sports Exhaust ¦ 19" AMG Alloys ¦ AMG Exclusive Pack ¦ Full Leather incl. Heated Seats & Leather Dashboard ¦ Panoramic Sunroof ¦ AMG Night Pack ¦ Privacy Glass

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm

k_anderson90 wrote:I prefer them discreet, its pretty dark in the cabin anyway shouldn't be that noticeable unless you know its there, i can also turn all the LED's off on the camera which is handy.
The screen should have a screensaver mode that blacks it out as driving with the screen showing is also illegal. Noticed there’s a lot of people that don’t realise this
0 x