Noobie? Introduce yourself here!
Erky
New User
New User

Post by Erky » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi guys from (not so) sunny Leyland!

Just joined as not had the Beast for long (Red W176) and absolutely love it.

Appreciate any advice from you guys on mods, issues with remap whilst under warranty, meet ups etc

Seem to have the dreaded reverse crunch! Going to the Preston dealer on the 20th for an inspection 😩 Any suggestions on how to approach appreciated. I’ve read some of the forum posts and will defo be making a audio recording.

Take care and thanks for letting me join 😃
0 x

dorsetred
A45 Groupie
A45 Groupie

Re: Newbie

Post by dorsetred » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi Erky

Welcome to the club, in most cases there's a lot of answers in the various sections of the club, I suggest you have a look through the index. Perhaps it may be a good idea to advise how old your car is as obviously this will help re Warranty queries which you may have?

dorsetred
0 x
MY18 AMG GLA45 4MATIC
Previous - MY16 GLA45 AMG, MY15 BMW 218d Active Tourer, MY13 BMW 118d Coupe, MY11 Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, MY09 Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, MY01 Honda HRV, too many more.

Erky
New User
New User

Post by Erky » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Cheers dorsetred. It’s a 2017. Registered in Dec so just on the cusp of the change. Still in warranty, but I read some dealers won’t take you seriously. Read some of the posts in here. Found the site on a google search for reverse crunch problems. Will do some more reading & if Marshall’s won’t sort it, I’ll cone back to you guys for some advice. If you’re ever up this way give us a shout for a pint and a run out.
0 x

nofitstate
New User
New User

Post by nofitstate » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:33 am

Hey, my early 2017 has just had the fix done. I did a video recording of it and showed that to the dealer when I dropped it off the night before they were looking at. The next morning they heard the crunch and about two and half weeks later it was returned to me with a new output shaft fitted. No questions asked and nothing to pay as it was all covered by the warranty. Make sure you get a loan car due to length of time yours is likely to be with them.
0 x

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Welcome to the club. If you want some modding ideas then you’ve come to the right place as there’s a lot of info in this forum. I think the main options out of the box are:

* Springs - H&R seem the favourite & that’s what I have
* Wheels - getting wheels to clear the callipers without being to wide that they rub can be an issue but if you do your research & calculations then you’ll be fine. I think on one of my threads I ran through a few calculations but there are many apps out there to help with offsets etc...
* Tyres - PS4S’s are the tyre of the moment if you need to replace yours
* Remap or Tuning Box- This is the ongoing debate for ‘in warranty’ cars. I’ve had both & if I’m honest a tuning box isn’t in the same league as a map. However it does give you the option to remove it yourself before taking your car to the dealer. Remaps are just better & the likes of DMS will offer you 3yrs aftercare so will remove & put back your map as many times as you need them to. DMS is well thought of as one of the best ‘no other mods’ tuners. They will however eek more power with additional mods if needed but you’ll also se many MSL cars around running big numbers on stages 2, 3 & even 4 that they offer.
* Intake - Not much to be gained here, even with a wider neck, but they do sound good.
* Exhaust - Many people just de-resonate there exhaust as it releases more of the pops & crackles without being intrusive with noise. If you’re wanting to go big power then the down pipe is the bit you want to look at changing, however a full system does sound epic. There are many options out there for exhausts & it all depends what sound etc...you’re after so this is a personal choice. Also how deep your pockets are if you want something like FI or Armytrix Image

They’re the things most people look at to start with. Have a read through the threads & see what you can find

0 x
2014 A45 AMG ¦ Jupiter Red ¦ AMG Aero Pack ¦ AMG De-Resonated Sports Exhaust ¦ 19" AMG Alloys ¦ AMG Exclusive Pack ¦ Full Leather incl. Heated Seats & Leather Dashboard ¦ Panoramic Sunroof ¦ AMG Night Pack ¦ Privacy Glass

Erky
New User
New User

Post by Erky » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:35 pm

Good to know guys. Thanks. Will defo make a video before I take it in. Doesn’t do it all the time and don’t want to have to keep going back.

Good info on the mods. Need to get the crunch sorted and then can start to have a play. Sounds like remap is a good place to start.
0 x

A45 Groupie
A45 Groupie

Post by 137699 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:23 am

If you're under warranty than *any* form of tuning (box or map) will potentially invalidate your warranty.
The vendors of the tuning boxes & pedal boxes will tell you their kit can be removed and the dealer will never know - it's utter tosh - dealers *CAN* and *DO* find out that a box has been previously used - the engine data which can be read by XENTRY diagnostics can prove this beyond all doubt.

So if you're concerned about your warranty, the best advice is, don't tune it.
0 x
2017 Cavansite Blue, Premium Pack, Aero Pack, Night Pack, Storage Pack, Performance Exhaust, Selective Damping, full Dinamica Steering Wheel. STANDARD SEATS!

MAFFA

Post by MAFFA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:25 pm

I never had any tuning box issues under warranty. Just took it off, got the warranty work done & then put it back on again.
0 x
2014 A45 AMG ¦ Jupiter Red ¦ AMG Aero Pack ¦ AMG De-Resonated Sports Exhaust ¦ 19" AMG Alloys ¦ AMG Exclusive Pack ¦ Full Leather incl. Heated Seats & Leather Dashboard ¦ Panoramic Sunroof ¦ AMG Night Pack ¦ Privacy Glass

A45 Groupie
A45 Groupie

Post by 137699 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 am

Obviously it's going to depend on what you're claiming for & how diligent the dealer is. Electrical issues are unlikely to be affected by engine tuning, but if you have an engine failure (and there have been some) then the likelihood is they're going to go the extra mile to see what parameters the car has been run under.

The moment the whiff use of a tuning box, you're on your own.
0 x
2017 Cavansite Blue, Premium Pack, Aero Pack, Night Pack, Storage Pack, Performance Exhaust, Selective Damping, full Dinamica Steering Wheel. STANDARD SEATS!

gotbass
A45 Newbie
A45 Newbie

Post by gotbass » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:34 am

137699 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 am
Obviously it's going to depend on what you're claiming for & how diligent the dealer is. Electrical issues are unlikely to be affected by engine tuning, but if you have an engine failure (and there have been some) then the likelihood is they're going to go the extra mile to see what parameters the car has been run under.

The moment the whiff use of a tuning box, you're on your own.
Have you heard of any a45 owners having warranty work denied due to a remap or tuning box?
0 x