Reverse Gear Grinding....

Have a problem with your A45? Or just want to get some technical advice? Here's the place!
cla_martin
New User
New User

Reverse Gear Grinding....

Post by cla_martin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:16 am

So, the new (to me) CLA went in yesterday to Poole to have a blown speaker replaced (which incidentally they couldn't identify, despite giving explicit instructions) and I happened to mention it made a bit of clunk going into reverse. Service adviser said they all do it, nothing to worry about but we'll get the tech to take a look.

Phone call yesterday afternoon and the gearbox issue is a bit more serious that the service adviser made out. They had spent all day doing updates and then waiting for the car to cool to the right temperature for them to further work it (?) but to no avail. The car stayed in overnight and I'm currently waiting for an update this morning.

The car comes out of new car warranty next week but being an AMG purchased from a main dealer, we have 2 years warranty from last Tuesday. Has anybody else been in this situation as I'm surprised that neither the previous owner nor Mercedes Guildford picked up on the clunking going into reverse? I had no reason to put the car into reverse either on the test drive nor when the car was cold in the first week of ownership.
0 x
Current: Polaris silver CLA with night pack, memory seats, AMG Leather, Logic 7. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Previous: Nissan 350z, Audi TT, VW Eos, Seat Leon Cupra R, Caterham 7.

MozeyPanda
A45 Novice
A45 Novice

Re: Reverse Gear Grinding....

Post by MozeyPanda » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:17 am

Hi Martin,

Many members have had this issue but at what seriousness is varied, by that I mean, I had the issue but mine was not so bad, it made a few clunks but they placed the TCU and only ever heard it once after that and nothing then on. As it's coming to winter, the weather is getting colder so it will be good to see if the issue is still there. Other members have had gearboxes replaced fully which means their issue was more severe. I would not be surprised if the owner traded in the car due to that issue, might not have been the sole reason but the build quality of the A45 is not great imo.

Thanks,
Mo
0 x

cla_martin
New User
New User

Post by cla_martin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Update - Technician has said its the worst sounding one he's heard and the car is now off the road until they can get the parts from the service bulletin in and drop the gearbox out. Hoping they can get me a loan car today as they said originally they had nothing available until next Wednesday! Fingers crossed!
0 x
Current: Polaris silver CLA with night pack, memory seats, AMG Leather, Logic 7. Land Rover Discovery Sport

MozeyPanda
A45 Novice
A45 Novice

Post by MozeyPanda » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:38 pm

cla_martin wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:05 pm
Update - Technician has said its the worst sounding one he's heard and the car is now off the road until they can get the parts from the service bulletin in and drop the gearbox out. Hoping they can get me a loan car today as they said originally they had nothing available until next Wednesday! Fingers crossed!
If your car is financed, then complain to them as you shouldn't be paying for a car where you aren't able to drive it. Even though you might get a loan car, phone them as you might get reimbursed. I did with the first cla I had that had serious gearbox issues.

Mo
0 x

Kingpin
New User
New User

Post by Kingpin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:10 pm

It sounds like you have the gearbox issue that many of us have had when selecting reverse from cold, but i would describe it as more of a "crunch" than a clunk. Its a metal to metal grinding noise, the word clunk sounds more like the thud that many also get when the car comes to a stop or slow as down through the gears, and that is apparently normal. But as yours is when selecting reverse it definitely sounds like the crunching problem. At least they are taking it seriously and sorting it out, mine was all done under warranty no problems, but some on here haven't had such an easy time of it
0 x

cla_martin
New User
New User

Post by cla_martin » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:47 am

Certainly does seem that way and yes the technician described it as a crunch. He also said it was so bad it made the engine “judder” when they watched it. Engine is coming out tomorrow so they can strip the gearbox and either replace output shaft and rebuild or replace the gearbox entirely.
Thankfully, as with all used AMG’s, 24 month warranty is taking care of it, phew!
1 x

cla_martin
New User
New User

Post by cla_martin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:57 am

So, an update if anyone is following this.... Still driving a c220 cdi courtesy car. Parts have had to come from Germany and have been delayed. Waiting for an update today as to when it will be ready!
0 x

Kingpin
New User
New User

Post by Kingpin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Same happened with me, a delay while they waited for the parts from Germany, then when they got them another delay while they waited for some special tools from Germany that are needed! Just over 2 weeks total from memory.
0 x